Years and years ago, sometime around 1998-ish maybe earlier I started an intentional practice to develop my ability to sense energy. I wanted to begin to feel energy course through my body. Not only that I wanted to be able to choose to ignite the flow both when I wished and where I wished. Meaning I wanted to be able to get in the energy state walking around or even driving.
What got me started on this path was something I read in one of Tom Brown Jr.’s books. He talked about a feeling you could experience physically when you get to a certain state of meditation. I forget exactly how he described it. An electricity flowing through you. The force which connects all things. I wanted to feel that connection. The exact motivation I really don’t recall.
These days I understand what he was describing as Chi in Eastern terms. The subtle energy one taps into with Reiki and other related modalities. As is typical with my life’s journey I didn’t seek a master or teacher. What I got was a bright idea. The best way I can to describe this idea would be to call it Ocean Breathing.
Forgive the detour but I can’t believe how much of my life I have experienced in an Ocean context. My whole sorcery practice can be described as Oceanic. The exercise I am going to describe is blatantly Sea Sorcery yet only recently did I get this is what I have been doing.
Even when I was exploring Earth based approaches. The most powerful experiences I have are nearly always near or in the ocean. The more I reflect on this idea the more I see the pattern. The quietest inner voice is the most powerful. While the ocean can be a deafening storm of wind and waves the power is often in the depths which appear very quiet to us surface dwellers. This perspective also explains the amazing amount of ideas I get in the shower or while swimming.
Back to the Ocean Breathing. When I say Ocean Breathing I am not saying put on SCUBA gear or attempt to actually breathe underwater. What I am suggesting is you imagine yourself a wave in a vast ocean
Ocean Breathing in 3 Steps
- Imagine every breath you inhale peaking at the end of your inhalation like the crest of a wave in the ocean.
- Imagine every breath you exhale ends in a trough.
- Imagine feeling the Ocean, energy, being drawn up into your being and flows back out as you exhale.
Do this everywhere all the time.
- Watching TV,
- Playing Video Games
- Cooking Diner
After a while you will begin to notice rather subtle feelings in your breathing process. Exactly how the sensation feels will be a little or even a lot different from person to person. Just be open to noticing what you notice.
As you develop the capacity to flow this energy you will also find you can direct it somewhat. In fact, we open a Universe of ideas when we consider the possibilities for working with this energy. Some of the more obvious ones are related to healing work. Healing is something I am not involved with these days. Developing your facilities of energy access and guiding though is one of the main piers for our magickal practice regardless of a specific area of interest.
Ocean energy skills work are also useful with:
- Sex magick and sexual connection at the energetic level can definitely get your attention. The power is in the subtleties. My most profound experiences have come from creating a space to be filled and holding that inner space confidently, patiently, and without expectation,
- attracting money and financial opportunities into your life,
- attracting your soul mate,
- connecting with entities whether personal or really in any pantheon will get a boost from developing your ocean energy abilities. Some of the ones I work with are quite personal and some are well known. Energetic skills have been helpful in every case. Much more so than specific words I may use in a ritual. Communicating with energy is just so much more effective for me.
- most importantly, connecting with yourself. (The real point behind all these practices.)
You can open yourself to a new life of experiences and opportunities by starting this simple Ocean Breathing practice. No force, just the energy wave being drawn in and flowing out. Let the energy of Life keep flowing through you connecting you with the rest of creation. Stay open and the ripples turn into waves you can surf.
Ride the energy wave!